Friday, July 22, 2011

The wisdom of crowds?

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." Henry Ford

One tends to never think of the general crowd as wise, it may just be a matter of semantics. In crowdsouring, the “crowds” are not crowded together so they won’t necessarily act like an unruly mob during a public demonstration. The “groupthink” disappears only if the members of the crowd have the privacy to think on their own. Then there's the concept of co-creation on a open crowdsourced platform that never seems to get beyond the “I like it” stage, some moderate infighting and some vacuous suggestions on the forums.
The contradiction for me in the co-creation arena is that we’re dealing with a competition. You can’t ignore the ego of the creative individuals who want to have the winning solution. Or least I can’t!