Monday, July 29, 2013

The Power of the Sketch

What were you doing at 17? Don't think, just sketch...make a mark on paper first. This is not as easy to do as you may think and especially if you're not comfortable with sketching anything. It's not about the quality of the sketch, no artistic talent for drawing is necessary. What comes to the surface should be the tacit knowledge of that time in your life: events, feelings and things in general, that you may think you forgot or may have even tried to forget.

The key to successful and meaningful sketching, in this context, is intimately connected to the ability of the participant to discard inhibitions. 

How else can we use the "power of the sketch"? TBD!

(note: this was also an exercise given to the cohort near the beginning of my MDesign program at OCAD U. This is my sketch. I was amazed that I actually recalled so much vivid information about this particular time in my life as a high school oarsman. The arrow points out my position in the boat).