Sunday, June 12, 2011

How to win a design contest.




















Note: the task was to apply graphics to the existing trophy sculpture - it was presented to the crowd as a blank canvas.

I was trying to tell a story of community and "sharing" the win with my design concept. In light of what actually won, my approach was a little too pedestrian and predicable. So how do you win? Zig, when the crowd zags!

Chi Fong Leong, went beyond the typical boundaries of graphic design. He did not just apply graphics, he "implied emotion" with heat sensitive paint. (When anyone touches the trophy it retains their hand print for several minutes.) I would never have thought of it, and that's actually very exciting to me. In fact I've now learned something about my own creative process! Check out his out his cool work - here.